There are over 4.5 Billion email accounts registered on various platforms. Every minute over 204 Million emails is sent worldwide. Since the launch of Gmail in 2004, it has become the most used and promising platform for email delivery. Managing Email surely becomes an important part of modern informational work.
Every person who uses the Internet must be using email. Now people use Gmail for other work than just a mailing client like chatting with colleagues, store essential files and access calendar. To use Google products like android, Google map, Google earth, Google ad sense, Google news, YouTube, Picasa, Google forms, Google drives, Google +, Blogger etc. you should have a Gmail account.
Most of the people still don’t know to efficiently use Gmail. There are also people who may express Gmail as one of their major sources of distraction and they end up wasting a lot of their precious time on managing emails. Gmail is loaded with tons of additional features that will make your email experience more exciting. I will show you some hacks that are not known to most of the Gmail users.
1. Gmail account at own domain name: You must be using some very common Gmail account like firstname.lastname@example.org . Instead of using a traditional email account you can use Google apps for a good looking email address. Google apps consist of collaborative tools such as Gmail, Google docs. It is customized email address build for business and companies. It will help you a business identity in an email also and make you more professional.
2. Use labels: You have been familiar with folders on windows explorer. It’s quite easy to manage and organize files in the windows explorer through the folder.
If you want to manage the emails just like that then labels are your solution. You could create a label for business, personal, customer, college, friends etc.
To create a label just go to settings->labels-> create a label.
Make sure to add filters into your label to handle it effectively. You could also order them specifically and add custom colors to each label.
After you have make the changes save it. After saving you could use this feature.
3. Preview Pane: Adding preview pane in the Gmail would help you sorting out emails by a glance at preview only. This will save much of the time which you waste on opening each mail.
There are some of the experimental features in Gmail which are known as labs.
To add a preview pane to your emails, click on the settings-> lab field. Now click on enable ->save changes and go back to your inbox. You will see a small preview for each of the emails in your inbox.
4. Be a Master of filters:
Filters are powerful in sorting out your messages if you use them effectively. These could save a lot of your time and solve much of the complexes in it.
If you want to automatically move the emails to a specific label in Gmail then:
- Click the down arrow from the search tab.
- Fill your search criteria.
- At the bottom right side of search criteria, you can see “create a filter with this search” Click on it.
- Choose your actions with this search.
- Now click on “create filter”.
If you want to direct all messages with attached photos or media to a different label directly:
- Use the filename:filetype operator to deliver all messages with attached files into the specific label.
For example, if you create a filter with filename:doc|filename:txt operator, all the emails will be attached .doc or .txt file will be received in this label.
5. How to change Gmail password: Your Gmail accounts contain a lot of sensitive information. You don’t want hackers to access your personal information. If they are able to access your Gmail account then they could easily get your password for other social accounts.
Also, a lot of people also forget their password easily because they don’t have a good recovery option for their Gmail account.
It is recommended that you should have a very strong and unbreakable password. You should also know how to change Gmail password so that you can change it at regular intervals to keep your account safe and secure.
You could easily check your recovery options and create a new password.
Click on settings->Accounts and Import-> you can see a lot of options there. The first field gives you the option to change the password.
You could also add recovery options for your Gmail account.
6. Automatically Forward emails: Sometimes you forget to send some emails which are really important to deliver. If you set-up automatically forwards messages then you can relieve the stress.
You can only forward the emails to those email addresses who accept your request to automatically forward messages.
Click on settings from gear icon
- Select Forwarding and POP/IMAP option
- Enter recipient email address and click on next->proceed->ok
- A verification mail will be sent to the forwarding address. You make sure that it is verified by other
- Once verified create a new filter of “Forward a copy of incoming mail to”
- Choose your action with Gmail copy of your emails
- Now at last click on “save changes”
Now you have successfully turned on automatic forwarding of filtered emails to the recipient.
7. Multiple email addresses with the single account: Many of users don’t have an idea about this wonderful Gmail features. The email addresses you own can be modified in many ways to get some pretty good email address. It is also quite easy to do it, with no external application or setting.
If your Gmail address is email@example.com then you could use different aliases like:
The mails sent to different aliases will be delivered to firstname.lastname@example.org . These features help you to sort out the different mails received from various accounts.
If you use your email address for various web services and newsletter then it can be a very handy tip for you. You can easily track the web service by looking at the alias name.
8. Gmail vacation responder:
If you are going out for a vacation and you won’t be able to respond to any emails during vacation. Then you can custom a response to those mails, you’ll receive in this duration through Gmail vacation responder.
To enable vacation responders to go to settings through gear icon on top right corner. In the general field, you’ll find vacation responder in the bottom of the screen.
Just create a custom message with “On a vacation” subject there and set up the date when you’ll be unavailable. You could also choose an option to reply people on your contacts only. Now just save the changes to use this feature.
9. Right-side chat: Hangout is an excellent chatting platform that many people use as it is fast, easy to use loaded with exciting features.
You may have used hangouts to chat with your friends located on left side. You could also choose to locate the chat options of hangouts on the right side of a screen. This could be done with labs features I discussed earlier.
Go to settings->labs->Right side chat->enable->save changes.
10. Add Keywords: Although you can store thousands of emails in your account. Sometimes it happens that by mistake we delete some important mails. Also, it becomes sometimes difficult to find out an important message if your inbox is full of mails.
If you add keywords to your mail then you’ll able to find that mail easily by that keyword.
Next time you found something important, then forward it to yourself by adding some easy keywords with it. Or you could create a new label “note” and keep it there.
If you ever need it in future, you can easily access it.
Many users have been using Gmail for their work, study, connecting with friends, resource collection, data transfer and many more purposes but still they are unaware of its excellent features. As I discussed earlier Gmail can be more than just a mailing client if you know all its features. These tips will help you handle and manage Gmail efficiently.
Hope you like and use these tips into Gmail account! Share your experience and tips for making it more productive and wonderful platform.