This post is all about, How to turn on YouTube dark mode on desktop, iOS, and Android by following the steps detailed below.
One of the most popular video-sharing platforms that do not need much introduction, YouTube, was acquired by Google in 2006 and made it a subsidiary.
It gives you any video on politics, cinema, philosophy, music, adventure, and the list is huge. Primarily a video sharing platform where users can upload videos, viewers can like, dislike, comment, and download youtube videos and share Youtube video content.
While users can search for any type of videos and watch them with or without ads.
It also encourages content creators to create their own channel and upload the works of their interest, while users can subscribe to available channels to get an instant notification if any video is up on YouTube from the subscribed channel.
Much of its popularity comes from its vast pool of content and it’s free to use. However, movie producers fix a price for their movies but vloggers – independent content creators on cooking, travel, technology, fashion, and hacks publish their content that can be watched free of cost.
While YouTube sets age restrictions as account users must be 18 years of age for certain kinds of videos.
The mega video sharing Website is an amazing place to explore new stuff, learn, and absorb entertainment. Mind you, cyberbullying is a by-product, users got to deal with it.
It is the 2nd largest search engine after Google, it also holds the position after google for the most visited website. With a 1.9 billion user base and 500 hours of content is uploaded every minute, YouTube’s 70% of views come from mobile devices.
Quite evidently, YouTube is the most sought marketing platform considering its mind-blogging reach and availability.
However, continual innovation in its features and user interface, YouTube has successfully lived up to users’ psychological pattern.
This time, Google has rolled out Dark Mode on YouTube. Of late the hours spent staring at screens have increased, be it at the office, home, or at public places, thus leading to eye strain and mild headaches.
By enabling dark mode on your devices, you can easily avoid the side effects of light-emitting off screens directly on your eyes.
It provides you easier-on-the-eyes experience and also feels comfortable viewing videos in dark.
On the other hand viewing experience and battery consumption differ from display technology of your screen.
Electronic devices with OLED and AMOLED display consume less power and saves battery as each pixel on OLED is lit up if the display background is white thus consuming more power while on dark mode, pixels do not lit up and thus do not consume power.
However, LCD displays are half agnostic to this battery consumption theory. Another additional advantage of turning on dark mode is you technically cut the harmful blue light-emitting off white backgrounds.
As a matter of fact, AMOLED/OLED displays give you the true contrast on dark mode as compared to LCD as it works on the backlight to lit up the display, and to some extent, the dark areas are also charged with a bit of light.
How to turn on YouTube Dark Mode on desktop or Mobile
How to enable Dark Theme on YouTube for Android:
Since dark mode is not activated by default it is advised to use v13.35 of the YouTube app or newer for this feature to be enabled. We bring you how to make YouTube dark mode in the listed steps.
- In order to use dark mode on the YouTube app, first launch the YouTube app and click on your Profile Picture at the top right corner. Upon which, a menu will pop up with a list of available options about your channel and the feature to go incognito. But select the settings option at the bottom.
YouTube app > Settings
- Once you land on settings menu, all that you have to do is choose General among the list of YouTube settings, i.e 2nd option on the list.
YouTube app > Settings > General
- Tapping on General must have navigated you to list of available options to choose under settings where you can find Appearance. Go to Appearance and select “DARK THEME”. Just tapping on the same will pop up appearance options. You can change the theme from white background to dark mode or vice versa whenever you want. From here on, every time you launch YouTube application you’re, by default, welcomed with dark mode. You can also set it to System Default if you want it to follow the system theme.
YouTube app > Settings > General > Appearance > Dark Theme
How to enable dark theme on YouTube for iOS
Although iOS devices had received the dark mode features before android rolled out to its handsets, it got to be activated on the YouTube application. Follow the below-listed steps to activate dark mode on iOS devices.
- First, download the YouTube application if you have not already installed it.
- Upon installation, login with your Google account.
- Tap on the profile icon on the top right corner of the application
- Click on the Settings option from the menu with other features listed.
- Choose General from Settings, that should navigate you to a new menu with a huge list of options.
- Now toggle on the dark mode option. Immediately the background of the YouTube application turns black thus activating dark mode.
Settings > General > Toggle Dark Mode
How to enable dark mode on YouTube PC Desktop
Dark mode for YouTube web viewing has been available since 2017. If you’ve not switched to youtube dark mode desktop, follow the below steps to enjoy the best viewing experience of YouTube on desktop in dark mode.
- Open YouTube on the browser by clicking on the link www.youtube.com
- If you have signed into your account, click on the profile icon at the top right corner.
- From the list of options in the menu, click on the toggle button of Dark Theme – off to enable dark mode on the browser.
- However, if you have not signed in, click on the 3 dots that appear at top right corner.
- Now you can view the Dark Theme option, enable it by tapping on the toggle button
That’s all from our end informing you how to make YouTube black on iOS, Android and web youtube dark mode PC browser.
Follow the steps and enjoy best viewing experience with less strain on eyes.