10 Best Free Instant Messaging Apps for Android & iOS
Communicating with friend and Family or other people is the reason why phones were invented. Smartphones have taken communication to new heights. Online Mobile messaging apps are trendy and people prefer to use popular apps such as WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, WeChat, SnapChat and many more.
When it comes to Instant Messaging apps for Android and iOS users, there are more options than you can ever use. But, some Chating apps are more popular than the others.
All of them have something different to offer to the users. You can make use of all those messaging apps to chat with your friends, family, and relatives for free. They use the internet and can be used over Wi-Fi.
Some of the common features of the chat apps include:
- Ability to make voice and video calls
- Absolutely free
- Group Chat
- Instant messaging
- Photo, video, contacts, Files and location sharing
Top 10 Instant Messaging Apps for Android and iOS devices.
Whether you are an iOS user or Android, WhatsApp is probably the first name to cross your mind while talking about the best Free messaging apps.
This cross-platform app is a great choice for all the users.
WhatsApp is ‘the’ most popular messaging service of today. It has more than 1 billion users worldwide. This app allows you to share video, picture, text, and document messages. You can also make video and voice calls.
- Send and receive photos, videos, documents, and Voice Messages
- GROUP CHAT with friends & family
- Supports Web Version
- Send Gifs, sticker
- WhatsApp for Business feature
- Delete your sent messages feature
- Voice-to-video call switch feature
- Tagging or mentions feature
Just like WhatsApp, almost everyone is on Facebook. This social media platform has a built-in chat service, which you can see on the right of the browser. The mobile users have the option to download Messenger to use Facebook’s messaging service.
This is another great choice for the Android or iOS users as it lets them chat with the other Facebook users without having to download the Facebook main application.
Yes, Messenger works independently of FB app. In fact, even if you have deactivated your Facebook account temporarily, you can continue to use Messenger to make video and voice calls, and do text, video, and image chatting. It has SMS support, GIFs, stickers, video calling, games, mobile payments as well as file transfer too.
Top Features of Messenger:
- Send emojis, stickers, voice recordings and GIFs to conversations
- Send a text message, share a photo, video chat, and high-quality video call
- Find new friends, just typing name or phone no
- Share files to anyone
- Play games
As SmartPhones users, you probably don’t even need to be told about WeChat. It is an exceptionally popular instant messaging service among Android and iOS users. This service lets you share text, picture and video messages. If you need to make video calls, you can tap the icon and it will open FaceTime for you.
China’s WeChat, 3rd most popular messaging app that offers just about everything, from text messaging to instant payments. It’s a monster, with more than 700 million registered users.
What We Like Most about WeChat:-
- Send video, photo, voice & text messages.
- GROUP CHAT (up to500 people) & CALLS (up to 9 people.)
- Free Voice & Video Calls
- Use “Friend Radar”, “People Nearby” and “Shake” to meet others and make new friends
SnapChat is also an incredibly popular messaging application. This app is unique in many ways. It is probably not your regular messaging app, although it does have some basic IM features. SnapChat is about sending the picture messages to other users.
These picture messages last only for a very short period of time and are automatically deleted from the server. SnapChat is a cross-platform app.
What We Like:-
- Share your Stories with friends
- Travel the world with Snap Map
- Create your own personal emoji
- Snapchat can also read QR codes
- Regular text messaging, phone calls and video calls is supported.
A hangout isn’t as popular as the other apps on this list. However, it is still a good app to try. This IM app from Google also offers video and voice calling. Of course, you can send text, video and picture messages to the other Google Hangouts users. It is a cross-platform app and thus available on many devices.
Best Features of Google Hangouts:-
- Allow group chats for up to 150 people
- Say more with status messages, photos, videos, maps, emoji, stickers, and animated GIFs.
- Connect your Google Voice account for phone calling, SMS texting, and voicemail integration.
Skype is a business or team collaboration messenger app that is ideal for making quick decisions over chats. This chat app is packed with numerous features that enhance productivity, share screen while video calls, efficiency, and execution speed.
This beautiful interface enables you to connect with your team through chats and video calls, and Group Chat.
- Skype-to-Skype calls are free
- Send photos and videos with your family and friends.
- HD video call and Voice Call supports
This Free Messenger app has been developed by Viber Media SARL and has a Varies with a device for Android and ~247.6 MB for iOS devices.
This app comes with the whole bunch of cool features which makes it quite handy, secure and useful. This app has seems to have most of the features.
What We Like:-
- Encrypted Communication
- Hassle-free, long-distance calls
- Voice or video – Make your free phone call now
- Group chats with up to 250 people!
- Express yourself with playful emoji icons and cool stickers.
This Instant Messaging app is developed by LINE Corporation and is of size ~358.6 MB for iOS version and ~Varies with a device for the Android version. There are quite a number of features which makes this messenger app stand out from the other apps.
Top Features of Line App:-
- Free voice and video calls anywhere, anytime
- Share messages, photos, videos, stickers, voice messages, and locations easily with friends.
- Fun and easy-to-use social networking features
- Make international calls with LINE Out
- Allows for sending and receiving money.
- Group calling supports 200 people.
Telegram App has been around for just a couple of years and best cloud-based instant messaging apps on our list.
It’s lightweight and very fast. If you have enough people who actually use Telegram to use it as an alternative to other messaging apps.
The highlights of Telegram:-
- SYNCED your messages from all your devices at once.
- Cool Themes let you change the way the app looks.
- Telegram is lean and easy to use.
- Over 100 million active users
- You can create group chats for up to 100,000 members, share large videos, documents of any type (.DOC, .MP3, .ZIP, etc.),
Kik is way more than just chat or messaging app. kik allows you to do video calls, voice calls and messaging. You can also send photos and videos.
- Choose who to chat with one-on-one and in group
- chatting app
- Share pics, videos, gifs, games, and more
- Meet new friends with similar interests
You May Also Like:-